How to filter water in the wild naturally
Boil Your Water-The most common and practiced way to filter water in the wild is to boil it for five to ten minutes, this will kill most if not all bacteria and impurities. If you have a pot then start a fire and boil the water before you drink. This method has proven to be very effective in naturally filtering water in the wild
Next you can create you own water filter, but it may take some time to gather all the material. If you have a plastic bottle or bag then place a few pieces of charcoal inside it first, you can obtain charcoal from the fire you started. Next, drop in some sand on top of the charcoal follow by a layer of small rocks. After you have one layer of charcoal, sand and rocks, add a second layer of the same material in the same order. Lastly pour your water inside your bottle or bag and let the natural material filter the water.
If the water is cloudy wait a few minutes or redistribute it through your natural water filter. To be completely safe, it’s recommended to boil the water after you have poured it through your natural filter. The natural filter will get rid of the cloudiness and bad taste, where as boiling will kill all bacteria and other organisms making it safe to drink.
How to filter water in the wild when camping
Pure drinkable water is something we can take for granted in our daily lives. However, when going camping, water that is drinkable should be one of the first things to think about. That bright, natural-looking water rushing down the creek may look clean, but could very well harbor dangerous micro-organisms that could put a swift end to that camping trip.
Protozoa such as Cryptosporidium and Giardia, as well as many other parasitic eggs and larvae, can cause sickness. A quality camping water filter is a definite must-have item to avoid disease and to ensure a safe camping experience. Here are some tips on finding one:
- Portable water filters range from $15 to over $300. A good rule of thumb on how to filter water in the wild is to spend at least $50 on your water filter if you plan on being in the woods for several days. At this price range, you will be well protected. Now small and less expensive filters are very effective, but we would only recommend using them for minor camping trips or emergency situations.
- Pore-size counts. Find a filter that has a pore-size efficiency of fewer than 0.4 microns – small enough to filter out any potentially harmful bacteria.
- Make sure it is easy to clean. Some water filtration units are unnecessarily complicated. Find one that is easy to clean, and you won’t regret it later.
- Ensure that you can easily find filter replacements. Filters will always get clogged up. This is a good thing because it means it is doing its job. Over time, however, they will plain stop filtering.
- Think portable. When hiking or traveling, a smaller water filter will be easier to carry. If you have an upcoming camping trip, please remember that drinking water is one of the most important things to think about. A high-quality camping water filter is essential to an enjoyable and safe time in the great outdoors.
Top 3 Water Filters used in the Wild
1. Life straw Personal water Filter hiking– This very popular filter is going to be the most portable and readily used filter simply because of it’s size and unique features. Weighing in at 2.88 ounces, this filter can easily fit in your pocket. The entire water filtration process this device uses is fairly simple but effective. It filters out 99.9% of bacteria.
You can literally drink from any creek, spring, sewage, pond, or lake and be perfectly fine. This is a perfect survival filter if you like to travel to remote destinations, Please note: This survival straw cannot filter chemicals( Chlorine Pool) or salt water. Check prices on Amazon
2.Portable AQU water purification– These tablets are another great way to filter water. All you have to do drop a particular amount of tablets into a specific amount of water and wait 35 minutes. Within those 35 minutes these water purification tablets really go to work. They kill bacteria, viruses, Giardia, and Lamblia, and other harmful micro organism.
After 35 minutes your water should be suitable and safe to drink. If you use a water purifier system and still have doubts that your water is not relieved of bacteria, then add one or two these tablets and you should be good to go. Check price on Amazon
3.Katadyn Pocket microfilter– This is going to be by far the best camping filter on the market. Now there are other water filters with good reviews out there, but this ranks #1 when it comes to filtering water safely. This filter uses micro filtration system to effectively kill 99.9% of bacteria and protozoa. With it’s heavy duty built and impregnated ceramic element, makes it a perfect filter for any harsh or rugged environment.
This filter is so hardy and effective, that’s it’s the only water filter on the market with a 20 year warranty. One cartridge can clean up to 13,000 gallons. To check prices and reviews please check this product out on Amazon Here.
- 8 survival myths that can get you killed
- how to measure remaining daylight with your hands
- how to make a bow and arrow in the wild
- Top 11 Must-Have Survival Items
Please Note: These filters cannot filter Chemicals(Chlorine Pool) or Saltwater
How different filtration systems work
There are many types of filters that are used in water purifiers in the wild to ensure 100% safe drinking water. The best water purifier on the market is currently the UV+RO+UF water purifier, fitted with taste enhancers. Let’s take a look at how different filtration systems work
- Sediment-water filter This filter is used to eliminate large and inorganic particles from the water such as dust. These types of filters are not very popular but are very common, as most water purifiers use them as pre-treatment filters or post-treatment filters. In most cases, its usage depends on the type of water purifier you have in your house.
- Activated carbon filter This is used as a pre-treatment and post-treatment filter, wherein the activated carbon membrane absorbs all the chemicals from the water. Some brands use it in a water purifier as the only water treatment. Unfortunately, this kind of filter is not ideal for removing germs that may be present along with the mineral ion particles effectively. The best water purifiers in India, for the most part, tend to include it as a part of the complete water purification process.
- RO water treatment Using Katadyn Pocket Micro filter, a unique form of water treatment as it is designed to soften hard water. The technology is also useful in eliminating all the mineral particles from the sea. So, an RO membrane in the water purifier system separates water molecules from several mineral molecules present in the water. You can check out the pricing and reviews on Amazon Here
- UF water filter Uses Katadyn Pocket Microfilter In most cases, UF water treatment is a post-treatment filter of UV+RO+UF water purifiers. It is a kind of a safety net for RO water purification treatments. To support the efficiency of RO water purifiers, UF (Ultra-Filtration) filter is added to the system.
- UV water treatment This is an important part of any water purifier. It is an essential form of water treatment to get rid of bacteria viruses. But, it is also an important pre-treatment for RO water purifiers as well. UV water treatment is conducted with a UV lamp that inactivates all the microbes in the water, thus making it completely safe for drinking. The water purification method is all about combining the right filters and treatments to get the optimal results because these filters are useful in getting rid of a particular type of contaminant. They are not interchangeable. Thus, water purification companies use them strategically to get 100% pure water.